The Dolphin Trail - Hike the magnificent Tsitsikamma Coast with no heavy backpack, and spend three nights in comfort at different accommodation venues!
The Dolphin Trail offers a luxury hiking experience on the magnificent Tsitsikamma coast... Imagine the beauty of the famous Otter Trail, but overnighting in luxury and without the heavy backpacks. Join us for 4 days of unspoilt beauty hiking the magnificent Tsitsikamma coast, with 3 nights in luxury lodges enjoying exquisite cuisine and views over the Indian Ocean.
For those hikers who know the rigours of the Otter Trail, and for those who have never had the luck or the courage to hike it, why not take a well earned break and come and enjoy the unrivalled beauty and luxury of the Dolphin Trail?
This unique trail has been made possible by the formation of a partnership between the Garden Route National Park (GRNP) - Tsitsikamma Section and two private sector partners, namely Forest Ferns and Misty Mountain Reserve. The result is a hiking experience that will both challenge and pamper you.
The trail covers a distance of 17 Km starting in the unrivalled beauty of the Garden Route National Park (GRNP) - Tsitsikamma Section at Storms River Mouth, and winds its way eastwards through natural fynbos and pristine indigenous forest, over rugged rocks at the waters edge, to end on the banks of the Sandrift River at The Fernery.
The package is fully inclusive and features the following:
- all meals, from dinner on the day of arrival, to breakfast on the day of departure
- the attendance of well trained local guides
- a 4x4 drive through the old Storms River Pass
- the transportation of all luggage by vehicle between overnight stops so that guests need hike only with a light pack containing a few personal items
- Hikers have stunning views of the rugged Tsitsikamma coastline, and the chances of spotting whales, dolphins and the occasional otter are good. On route, many birds including the gorgeous Knysna Loerie can be heard and spotted while hiking through the forest, and the endangered Oystercatcher is often to be seen on the shoreline. Swimming and snorkelling in the rock pools is possible at the discretion of the guides.
Level of Fitness: A great deal of the charm of this untamed coastline lies in its rugged and wild nature, and hiking it is therefore not a mere "stroll in the park". It is however achievable by people of all ages who have maintained a reasonable level of fitness and agility, and a relatively active lifestyle. Many walkers who may be discouraged by the need to carry a heavy pack are now able to take the challenge and enjoy what is a strenuous but attainable hike through some of South Africa"s most beautiful scenery.
Age Limit: Due to the nature of the trail we regret that we do not accept bookings for children under the age of 12 years. No upper age limit has been set as it is determined purely by the fitness of the individual. We have had many hikers in their 70"s who have come through with flying colours!
Medical: Although a First Aid kit is carried by the guides, please ensure that any special prescribed medication is carried on your person and that the guides are made aware of any pre-existing conditions prior to embarking on the hike.
Meals & Beverages: When making your booking, please advise reservations of any special dietary requirements. All meals are provided and a cash bar is available at all venues.
- Hiking boots are recommended although a good pair of trainers is acceptable footwear.
- Two pairs of socks per day (1 thin and 1 thick pair to wear with your boots).
- Suitable hiking gear - the Tsitsikamma is known to have “four seasons in one day”. We recommend short pants for warmer weather and a comfortable pair of long pants and a warm jacket should the weather turn cold.
- Light rain wear.
- Swimming costume.
- Rucksack / Day Pack.
- Walking stick.
- Binoculars for keen birders (a bird book will be carried by the guides).
- Insect repellent and sun block.
- Hat or cap.
- Camera and film.
- Warm, comfortable clothing and shoes for the evenings.
View the itinerary HERE
Follow us on FACEBOOK
Please contact us The Fernery Lodge for more information & bookings.